Tuesday, January 10, 2012

"Stand For Something or Fall For Everything!!"

January 10, 2012......We've all heard that saying, "If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for everything."  No truer words could of been spoken....(is truer a word?)  Oh well....There comes a time in life when we must take a stand for what we believe in, even if it means that we stand alone.  It doesn't matter what they call you but what you answer to.  Standing up for yourself and your beliefs can be tough.  Sometimes you may find yourself standing alone and in doing so find that it's lonely taking a stand for what you believe in.  You may even find that you can be misunderstood in the process.  And because someone that may not even know you don't understand you they then sit in the seat of judgment against you.  My dad used to always say to me when I would say, "so and so did it"  "If so and so jumped off the bridge does that mean you're gonna go and jump off the bridge with them?"  The answer is no.  I wish I was as strong as he wanted me to be back then.  Hell, I wish I was that strong now in a lot of areas in my life, but I'm not.  I'm working on it.  I find that in standing up for what I believe in takes courage and strength.  There are times when I must stand alone in the process and frankly sometimes I don't like it, but what am I gonna do?  If I don't take the stand now, when?  The time has come for me to draw the strength I need from wherever I can get it.

I look at my son and I wish that I was as strong as he is at his age.  I have been an eye witness to how lonely it has been for him at times to stand firm on his beliefs and morals.  I have seen first hand how he has been misunderstood because he is reserved in his thoughts and behavior.   I tell him what I am telling myself tonight, if you don't stand for something you will fall for everything!!

There will come a time when I have to walk my walk alone.  I know that I am the social butterfly and that I want everyone to come along with me but that's not how it's gonna play out for me.  If I want this bad enough I must do whatever it's gonna take to get it done.  I thank God that I have come to that place where I have the ability to do that.

I wish my dad was here so that he can be an eye witness to me standing for something and not falling for everything.  I know that today he would be proud of me as I am Sir Stephen lonely or not.

"L"

No comments:

Post a Comment